Re: RPM hangs

OK ... I found a way to solve the problem.

The  %&@!&#*   up2date program crashed in
mid-install while I was doing the latest errata
updates, and in so doing actually *did*
stuff up the Packages database stored in
/var/lib/rpm. (Next time I will backup the
database before TOUCHING up2date -
serves me right)

Here is how I solved it :

1) Copy the 'Packages', 'Basenames', and 'Name' files from /var/lib/rpm
     to a different location (These all get modified during the up2date
     procedure)
2)  Remove the lock files " __db*" in /var/lib/rpm. This step is
      IMPORTANT, otherwise attempting to rebuild the bd will fail

3) Rebuild the indices and perform a database sanity check by running
    the following command

#  rpm --rebuilddb -vv

That produced some horrendous amounts of output, but afterwards my
database was fine and I could run package queries and updates again.

Had this failed, I would have spent months rebuilding the database,
or simply would have had to reinstall the OS.

Jason