RE: XF86Config file question - Nvidia Driver

>I am running CPU Athol 2.1G and the Graphic card has 32MB memory.  Which
>of the following driver should I download;
>
>Linux IA32
>Linux AMD64
>Linux IA64
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>B.R.
>Stephen

You should download the one that is right for your kernel and CPU and motherboard combination.

If you have a simple computer such as mine then you should download Linux IA32. My computer that has the IA32 nvidia driver. It is a PII 400 and uses the i686 kernel (kernel-2.4.20-20.8.i686.rpm).

AMD64 - The AMD Opteronâ processor for servers and workstations is the first milestone in establishing this new class of computing. It will be followed by the AMD Athlonâ 64 processor which will allow pervasive adoption of the AMD64 platform for desktop and mobile personal computers. AMD64 replaces terms such as âHammerâ (now âAMD64 Platformâ) and âx86-64â (now âAMD64 ISAâ). I don't think you have this one...

IA64 - is for the Intel 64 bit Itanium. I don't think you have this one either...

So go for the IA32. This is for nornal 32 bit processors...

Go to http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and choose Graphics Driver -> GeForce and TNT -> IA32 and then select go button.

Be sure that you print out the README FILE AND UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE YOU LOAD THE DRIVER! You will also need to know how to start up in text mode and to edit XF86Config using vi or some other text editor.

I must admit though it was not as hard as I thought it would be to install and set up the driver. And the difference in the video and refresh rate made it worth the effort.

One more thing. When you update the kernel you must reinstall the nvidia driver. Luckily you don't have to reconfigure the XF86Config file...

Michael von Lehe