Help-Not able to login to linux system through telnet,FTP from windows workstation

Sir,
I am new to Linux enviroment,
i am installing red hat linux 8 server on my intel based system,
while configuring the firewall i have selected "No Firewall".
my problem is, i am not able to login to my linux machine from windows workstaion or any sun machine throught telnet or FTP.
when i check the firewall configuration throught Lokkit or Security-level menu.i find the firewall conf as High.
i did try to configure from here to allow telnet,ftp etc,etc.then updates the iptablesas per the documentation asks me to do.
Even then the Fire wall conf does not get configured.
pl help me in this matter.
i also need to configure squirrel mail on this linux machine.i request you people to help me in this matter.

thanking you in anticipation,
ravinder