Installing RH 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop

Hi all,

I have encountered 2 problems in installing RH 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 2500
pentium III laptop

1. The X-server always crashes when I try to start X after installation. I
have done a re-install with low-res option, same result. I can run the laptop
at runlevel 3, it seems normal. During the installation the screen text and
graphics looked very good, and the external mouse and touchpad worked
normally.

2. I found that "bringing up eth0" always gave the result "failed" . (The
ethernet card does work as the laptop connects with internet via ADSL under
windows). According to the specs, the network card is: "Data/fax network
adapter: optional 10/100 LAN + 56K, V.90 mini-PCI card modem".
I did a search of experiences with this laptop using linux and found the
Debian module eepro100 works to support eth0 in this laptop in Debian linux.
In Mandrake linux the eth0 (eepro100) loads automatically. Is there a reason
why the network card might not be recognized?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Greg