Re: How to create rescue floppy from OS

On mié, 2003-08-13 at 04:59, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi all folks,
>
> Can I create a RH8.0 rescue floppy from PC?  If YES, in which
> folder/directory shall I execute following command
>
> dd if=booting.img of=dev/fd0

The command that are you showing is used during the installation stage,
when you need boot the installation process from floppy (if you can't
boot from other device). AFAIK such floppy disk _is_not_ suitable for
rescue the system, to have a "rescue floppy disk" you need to do other
things. The easy way is look for "rescue utilities" such as Tomsrtbt:

-- extracted from Tomsrtbt FAQ: http://www.toms.net/rb/tomsrtbt.FAQ ---
1) tomsrtbt is	"The most GNU/Linux on one floppy disk"
for: rescue recovery panic & emergencies tools to keep in your shirt
pockets whenever you can't use a hard drive Tomsrtbt stands for:
"Tom's floppy which has a root filesystem and is also bootable."

But if only you need _a_bootable_ floppy for your current Linux install,
just try to use mkbootdisk(8) by example:

mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.4.18-14

> Thanks in advance.

I hope this helps to you

> B.R.