Re: Sound in RedHat 8.0.

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 14:33, Panos Tsapralis (TELLAS) wrote:
> I posted this issue some time ago but got no answer, that could help me
> resolve it, so, here I am again, in hope of getting some better help
> this time:
>
> No matter what I do, I cannot get any sound out of my system, except for
> the various dings & clicks of the user interface in Gnome. I am trying
> to use the CD & audio players in Gnome or in KDE but nothing is heard
> (although the applications seem to work O.K.).
>
> I am confident that my sound card (ESS Maestro3) is recognised by the OS
> at boot time, since the system log mentions its name and configuration
> (identical to those derived under Windows XP). As an additional proof of
> evidence, I get the sounds of the Gnome UI. The only thing, that
> troubles me, is the following messages (in various parts of the system
> log):
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3,
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0,
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1.
>
> I strongly suspect that the roots of my problem are in these messages.
> What do they mean and what should I do in order to resolve this?

------
I am by no means an expert in this but this is the way that I handled it
on my Sony Picturebook...

edit /etc/modules.conf and remove any and all references to sound
run the command 'depmod -ae'

run the command 'sndconfig'  (this may not be installed by default - if
not installed, use rpm to install it from the distro cd's or if you have
the machine on an rhn account... up2date sndconfig

Craig