Mice

All,

For reasons unknown, my USB optical mouse (with wheel) has stopped working on
RH 8.0.

I've read over the posts concerning this and other mouse problems without
success.

moved.  Unplugging and replugging the mouse when in a ctrl-alt-F2 screen
causes this to be printed:
  usb.c USB device 7 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc00c) is not claimed by any active
driver.

Hence I think the machine is seeing it, it just doesn't get connected to X.
Neither doing the Ctrl-Alt-F2/Ctrl-Alt-F7 shuffle, nor doing
Ctrl-Alt-backspace
to restart the X server helps.

I'd like to try the usb modprobes at boot time but haven't found out quite how
to do that yet.

Any other ideas out there?

TIA,
John