Re: Upgrade 7.3 -> 8.0

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:19:01 +0200 (CEST)
Alexis Vasquez <lxvasquez@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Used to have dual booting    RHL7.3/W98
> the window$ get damage, so I reinstalled.
> now lilo doens't boot.   I guess with rescue mode I
> can fix this, but I would like change to RH8.0/w2k
>
> Q.  If I upgrade linux without changing partitions
> size  could this compromise what I have.
>
> concern about the filesystem type..

I'm currently running w2k & RH 9.0 (formerly 8.0) with no problems.  Your partitions shouldn't be an issue, however I've had complete success by doing the following:

1.  Back up the data in both w2k & RH that you really want to save.
2.  If you want to make any partition changes for w2k, then erase all partitions and make a new w2k partition.
3.  Install w2k
4.  Install RH.

In any case, it's generally far better to install w2k first into it's partition, then install RH.  Grub bootloader will work fine for this, you don't need any special tools.  BE SURE TO MAKE A BOOT FLOPPY IN LINUX!  This will prevent any future problems when (not if) you have to reinstall a windows product, as you can boot with the floppy and just run grub again.

HIH!
 rickf