Re: Time Stamp Problem

The files of relevance are: /etc/sysconfig/clock and /etc/localtime.
"/etc/sysconfig/clock" can be modified by hand, and then use the command
"/usr/sbin/timeconfig" to update /etc/localtime.

The "date" command is used to set your system time. A lot of people run
a "time daemon" such as xntp to keep all their servers synchronized. But
if you only have a few servers or the time issue is important but okay
if each server drifts a minute or two, you can do what I do and
designate a single server as your "master time server," configure it to
use xinetd for the "time" service at a certain window each night, and
configure a cron job on your clients to run "rdate -s servername" at
this time each night.

The above will set and keep your system time.

If you want to make sure your hardware clock is synchronized with the
system time, you use the "hwclock" command. You can set the hardware
clock to the system time, or vice versa. Keep in mind that during system
start up (booting), the hwclock command is run from
"/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" and depending on how it's run it may override
what you're doing by hand.

mike

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 17:10, Suresh Babu A. [IT Engineer] wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> The problem occurs occasionaly and further it gets resolved on it own !!!
>
> Suresh A.
>
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Jeff Kinz wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:59:07 -0400
> > From: Jeff Kinz <jkinz@xxxxxxxx>
> > To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: Time Stamp Problem
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 01:22:08AM +0530, Suresh Babu A. [IT Engineer] wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > While creating a file in my Linux the time stamp for the file shows "30th
> > > Sep 1960", because of this i couldn't view the file in Windows OS. This
> > > problem occurs occasionaly. How to resolve it ?
> >

> > You system time/date is set to zero.
> >
> > You can use the "date" command to set it to the correct time.
> >
> >   date [MMDDhhmm]
> >
> > Like this:  date 07081655
> >
> > for July 8, 4:55 PM
> >
> > With no arguments date displays the current time.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
> > copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
> > acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
> > Don't forget to change your password often.
> >

> > --
> >

> Thanks
>
> SureshA
> uarusu02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx