How to copy a selected content on a .PDF file

Hi all folks,

How to copy a selected paragraph/passage of a.pdf file

I have following packages installed/running on my OS;

$ rpm -qa|grep pdf
xpdf-1.01-8
kfile-pdf-3.0.3-5
docbook-utils-pdf-0.6.11-2

also
PDF viewer/PS viewer

$ xpdf [enter]
only starts a blank page without tool bar to open document

clicking a .pdf file can read it with xpdf but without copy function.
What I need is to copy a highlighted passage and paste it onto another
document e.g. OpenOffice, Kwrite, etc.

Win Acrobat Distiller can do the job.  Kindly advise whether there is
similar package from OpenSource.

Thanks in advance.

B.Regards
Stephen Liu