Maximum User Process Memory Size in RH 8.0

Hello psyche-list,

Once upon a time, I remember reading about issues related to the
largest possible user space process memory image. I recall there being
special kernels for such use, etc.

Now, of course, that I actually could use as much user space memory in
my process as possible, I can find no reference to anything of the
sort.

Could someone please provide, or give a documentation pointer for,
what (if anything) special needs to be done to give a RH 8.0 user
process the largest possible virtual memory space? I seem to recall
that limit being 3Gig. My system does not have that much physical
memory, so will be paging its brains out, but that's better than
rewriting the application just now. One other thing -- it will likely
run on a dual-cpu system (though the application in question is not
multi-thread or multi-process); the system just happens to be a dual.

Thanks!

Ron.