Re: [edlug] RedHat kernel versions

On 05 Jun 2003 12:29:57 +0100 "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 10:41, Ross Macintyre wrote:
>
> > But now I've got your attention, you could help me with one more thing:
> > could you tell me what the side effects of running a generic i686
> > kernel on an athlon processor would be?
>
> A few bits and pieces relating to improved performance for those CPUs.
> It enables cache-bypass streaming page clear/copy, but not much else;
> and without the athlon kernel, you still get MMX-based page operations
> (not quite as fast as the athlon-dedicated ones, but still
> accelerated.)  It also results in a kernel compiled with gcc optimising
> its instruction scheduling and function alignment for athlon.  So it's a
> bit of a performance boost.

Thanks for that information Stephen.
I'm now in the difficult position of wondering whether to use the
athlon up-to-date kernel(2.4.20-18.8smp) or the i686 older
kernel(2.4.18-27.8.0smp) [or recompile my own]? (I prefer to use
generic kernels and not bother recompiling).
The reason I'm considering the older kernel is that the newer kernel
seems to break the 2 bits of software that I want to run to manage my
raid configuration, that is megamgr and
/etc/init.d/raidmon[MegaCtrl/MegaServ] to manage an LSILogic Megaraid
SCSI 320-2.
Maybe I need to use the older athlon kernel but I'm not sure if RedHat
makes these available? I only have the i686 version of the older
kernel. Could you advise please? Do Ineed to wait for LSILogic to
update their software or wait for a RedHat kernel that runs megaserv
and megamgr?
Thanks aagain,

Ross

--