Re: Shrinking a disk partition

Am Die, 2003-06-03 um 14.15 schrieb Doug Wyatt:
> But I'm somewhat confused - mostly by the differences in the
> Start and End values indicated by parted, fdisk and sfdisk.

The output of fdisk and sfdisk don_t differ. The first starts numbering
with 0, the second with 1. Don't know about parted.

> Is what I want to do reasonable?  And if so, can anyone shed
> some light on why the values seem somewhat different and how
> I should choose new values for parted and fdisk?

I did this stuff several times. I shrinked the linux file system (on
hdb2 in your case) as much as I could. Then I shrinked the partition
using fdisk, deleting it first, then create a new partition with exactly
the same starting point and choosing a different end point. Afterwards I
extended the linux file system again to fill up completely the new
partition size.

I think you could use your existing /boot partition for both RHL
versions. It should be large enough, even if the installation programm
demands for a /boot partition of at least 70 mb. I never had any
problems with my 50mb partition.

Good luck.
Peter