Re: changing /var's partition

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 03:44, Dr. Peter Boy wrote:

> I'm not sure, if I fully understand your question:
Thanks Peter, for not being sure what I was asking you certainly
produced a damn fine set of directions!  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I am
pulling out the older/smaller hda and so wanted to move /var from it to
the newer larger (though nearly full) hdb.

> You seem to have another Linux partition hdb2, which seems not to be in
> use. If you can use this partition as your new /var, it's even easier to
> do (and a better solution).
This new setup is only temporary as more hdd musical chairs will soon
follow so I don't mind /var being on the mostly full hdb3 for now. hdb2
is a disabled /boot partition from some old/bad work done on this
box....it's too small for /var I believe.  I'm going to re-install 8.0
and clean this whole thing up but I need to move some data around first,
and pull out this old hdd disk.

I moved moved /var to hdb3 without a problem, and can run the box
booting from the mbr on (the old) hda i.e. the smaller/older drive which
I've been using up to now.

I changed the 2 appearances of 'hdb*' to 'hda*' in fstab.
After removing (the old) hda and not being able to boot I following your
guidance and ran grub-install on (the new) hda to create a new mbr.

It ran without error.
Booting up I now reach the grub splash screen and choose to boot into
linux.
Then I get this:

root (hd1,2)
Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

I'm getting to the grub screen so the mbr is in place properly right?

Is this a problem with the grub's device.map?.....I'm guessing here.

[nick@xxxxxxxxx grub]$ cat device.map
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(fd0)     /dev/fd0
(hd0)     /dev/hda
(hd1)     /dev/hdb

I tried pointing hd0 to /dev/hda3
I tried pointing hd1 to hda then hda3
I tried removing the second line entirely as there is only one hdd.
I'll be damned if I can figure out what the problem is.
well, that's not quite true, I suspect that --I'M-- whats wrong with the
system, but I'm sure what exactly the problem I'm causing is.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
nick