Re: how to use X11 forwarding

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2003, chenyabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I want to use xwin32 to connect my linux server from my windows
workstation. but I do not want clear text transmitted over the
network.  it seems X11 forwarding can encrypt the data over such
connections.  anybody can tell me how to use it practically?

The development version of Putty, and quite a few other SSH clients
for Windows, support X11 forwarding back to the Windows machine.

Note that the Windows machine running XWin32 is called the "X server"
and the Linux machine is your "X client."  The terminology can be
confusing.

Ted

xwin32 sez it supports the ssh protocol. Just specify it as your transport protocol, however that's done.

On your linux box, make sure sshd is on & config'd for X11 in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

X11Forwarding yes

-toby