Re: errata mirroring

Hy,

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> SM> What are your techniques for pulling down errata updates?
>
> I use "lftp -f get_updates", where get_updates contains:
>
> open updates.redhat.com
> mirror -v -e -c -x alpha                 -x SRPMS                       7.0/en/os 7.0

There is nothing better than rsync:
OPTIONS="--recursive \
         --perms \
         --times \
         --partial \
         --delete \
         --delete-after \
         --delete-excluded"
EXCLUDE="--exclude=alpha/ \
         --exclude=alphaev6/ \
         --exclude=ia64/ \
         --exclude=ppc/ \
         --exclude=s390/ \
         --exclude=s390x/ \
         --exclude=SRPMS/ \
         --exclude=*BOOT* \
         --exclude=tetex* \
         --exclude=emacs* \
         --exclude=vim*"
rsync -avct $OPTIONS $EXCLUDE
rsync://your.rsync-server.tld/redhat-update/9/en/os/* RH9-updates

This will mirror the content of /redhat-update/9/en/os/* in
RH9-updates but won't copy the subdirectories alpha, alphav6, ia64 and
so on and no package containing Boot or beginning with tetex, emacs or
vim. More info about rsync in the man page or http://rsync.samba.org.

Only disadvantage is that the server must support rsync which isn't
the case with all RH mirrors. You can find out which RH mirrors
support rsync by trial and error or you can look them up on the mirror
list of freshrpms.net: http://freshrpms.net/mirrors/redhat/8.0.html
But if rsync isn't mentioned there it doesn't mean for sure that a
server really doesn't support rsync. E.g. my favorite german mirrors
are not listed there.
BTW: I'm nearly sure that rsync is the way the official mirrors sync
up with the master ftp server.

Bye

Dirk