Problem with full hard disk

Hi guys;

I'm in need on advice for solving a hard disk issue; the situation is like
this:
A customer called me asking for help with his RH8 that wasn't working (when
trying to start X, it can't go through with that, hence I can't login, even
in a non-graphical mode).

When I hook up that hard drive (Western Digital 10GB) to my linux box (as
hdc), I get this error message at boot-time:
ext3: No journal on filesystem on ide1(22,3)
mount: error 22 mouning ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sisroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed:2
kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to the kernel

And when I try to update the RH installation on that hard drive it tells me
there's no space available (which I checked with the customer, and he filled
the HD with Windows stuff)
any suggestions on how to mount that HD and back up to CD?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hernan