RE: Command to find execute file

FYI

Commands like 'type' or 'which' or 'where' will search the PATH variable
for a file.  Since this is supposed to be only executables, it is
usually termed "search for executables" but it finds links to executable
files so I don't think its that smart.  I think it will find any
matching file in the PATH.

Commands like 'find' actually walk the directory hierarchy looking for
files so you can search all the disks if you want.  If you have
permissions for it.  And it can be very slow to walk a large set of
disks on a busy server.

Last thing:

	find / -name *evolution*

will not always work because in some cases the shell will see the splat
(asterisk) and use it up instead of passing it on to the find program.
Plus all the non-Linux Unices I've worked with don't assume a print
sub-command.  So the more general purpose way to do this search is to
escape any special characters you use just in case and explicitly
request output.  So the above turns into:

	find / -name \*evolution\* -print

Hope this helps.

Hattie Rouge