(newbie) pppd through browser...

Hi everyone

What I'm trying to do seems very simple but I'm having terrible difficulty
with it.

My set up at home is a LAN with 2 dual boot Windows/Linux PCs and a server
running RH8.

I have a dial up connection to Freeserve.

I want to be able to provide a link to start pppd from a web page.
i.e. from one of the Windows PCs I can dial up an internet connection by
clicking a link (rather than having to ssh into my server and running the
script manually)

I created a shell script and suid'd it (to allow the user 'apache' to run
the script.)

The script will start but I then had a permissions problem with /dev/ttyS0.

To test I did chmod 777 /dev/ttyS0
(and also chmod u+s /dev/ttyS0 and chmod g+s /dev/ttyS0 !)

The script still failed...

Is there anything I'm missing ?

Obviously without the script you may have problems (if so I'll mail it when
I get home from work!)

Dick