Re: Command to find execute file

On 9 May 2003, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Oisin,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> What I try to do is to locate where the execute file of a package
> resides.  It can start the package.
>
> type -t evolution
> only show it is a file

if the file was installed using an RPM (RH is a package system so you
should be using RPM's ;->) yu can use rpm -ql evolution. This will give
you a LONG list of files. I usually look for /usr/bin or /usr/share or
/etc/ (this is not a complete list as the excutables could be elsewhere)
in the file list. The 'executable' file should be in one of these
directories. Not the best method but it works for me.

> B.Regards
> Stephen

<snip>

--
Proprietary format attachments are a major obstacle to the broader
adoption of GNU/LINUX.Competition is good for business, Proprietary