Re: Sound troubles

Hi Ed,

I got the same problem as yours suffering without sound on RH8.0 for
months.  I tried many mailing lists including this one, alsa-user, etc.
without a solution.  Now my problem has been solved.  I use motherboard
built-in sound card

1) As Root
# lspci

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97
Audio Controller (rev 10)

If your sound card uses Via chip, your problem is the same as mine.

2) In such a case use attached document as guidance to solve your sound
problem.

3) In case of difficulty visit following list.

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=32236

There are 34 postings discussing sound problem on RH8.0 using VIA chip
similar to mine.

Hope this can help.

B.Regards
Stephen

(Remark: use ONLY "alsa-driver-0.9.0rc6.tar.bz2", not the latest
package.  I learned a bitter lesson on them suffering a problem which I
am going to post to this list later for assistance)