Strange permissions(?) issue on Red Hat 8

Hello, Everyone :)
I started to have this problem with Red Hat 9 (I have since returned to
Red Hat 8, as I was having to many New problems with 9), so I'll
describe how it started there first.
After a very recent re-install of Red Hat 9, I lost the ability to run
any archving/compression utilities as a regular user, and I also lost
the ability to run "configure" and "make" on source code, all of which I
was able to do as a regular user up until a few days ago.
I assumed that doing a full reinstall of Red Hat 9 would fix the
problem.  I was mistaken :(
I further assumed that if I reinstalled Red Hat 8, to the point where I
completely deleted all my previous user settings, that I would be back
to where I could compile sourcecode as a regular user (up to the point
of "make install").  I was rather suprised to discover that I still
can't run, lets say, bunzip2, tar, configure, or make.  I also found out
that I can make my own tarballs, and bzip2 them, and then extract them
just fine.
Before I decided to propose this question to you, I checked to see what
the permissions were on the sourcecode I was trying to compile.  As a
regular user, I was the owner and the group, and I had sufficent read,
write and execute priveledges on all the files I tried to compile.  I
can compile and install just fine as root, but the thing that confuses
me is that the problem didn't used to exist even on Red Hat 9, and now
it continues after a complete Reinstall of Red Hat 8!  Not only that,
but there was no possibility of any of my old configuration files
causing any confusion.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated :)
Steven P. Ulrick