RE: using up2date for source as well as binaries

So I have to tell it to keep all the RPMs so it will keep the source
files?  But what I want it to do is to *install* the source file rpm so
I can read the source files.  That's what I assumed would happen when
running rpm -i against the src rpm.  In fact, I thought that the source
files would end up in /usr/src somewhere such as /usr/src/redhat/SRPM.
But I don't see that happening.

I have some source rpms and I have installed them but the rpm database
doesn't show they are installed, just the package that they (should)
build.  If I install 'foo.rpm', then 'rpm -qa | grep foo' will return
'foo'.  If I install 'foo.src.rpm' then 'rpm -qa | grep foo' will also
show 'foo', not 'foo' and 'foo.src' as I expect.

My view of SRPMs comes from (over)generalizing the development packages:
if I install 'foo.develop.rpm' and 'foo.rpm', 'rpm -qa | grep foo' will
return 'foo' and 'foo.develop'.

So I guess I need to ask the purpose of an SRPM if not to install source
files?

How do I get source files on my system?

Thanx all...

Hattie Rouge