up2date kernel on RH 8

Hi,

I'm getting ready to update my kernel via ssh putty due to my rhn errata
reports of security problems with my old kernel - kernel-2.4.18-14.

I was wondering if someone could give me a step by step guide as to how to
update the kernel in RH 8.0 using the up2date command via telnet putty?  Or
do you have a URL on rhn for doing up2date for the kernel on RH 8.0?  What I
should watch out for?  I want to make sure I do this correctly and not screw
up my server which is running e-commerce sites.

Is there  way to check to see if I need to install any mods or device
drivers from source prior to doing an update of the kernel? Does the kernel
have dependencies like RPM's do?  Is there a way to check for kernel
dependencies if  it does?  Or is that what you are talking about above,
kernel dependencies?

First of all should I use the "up2date -vf kernel" command to update the
kernel to force and for verbose?  And does it leave an install log, if so
where?  Should I copy that before I reboot?

If I do this, will the old kernel still be there in case I need to boot from
it? Can I boot from the old kernel remotely via ssh putty telnet?

Would this cause any problems with broken dependencies?  I run qmail and it
requires I believe glibc, and I run e-commerce software, apache 2.0.40, have
a half dozen IP aliased domains with secure ssl Thawte certificates
installed, these domains/sites are all running under openssl and mod_ssl.
Should I be worrying about my secure sites?

I am also running a RAID 1 setup with an embedded RAID controller card, it's
a Dell Poweredge server.  Any problems with drivers or dependencies,
conflicts there?

How would I know if I need to install any mods or device drivers to prevent
conflicts or dependency problems?  I installed RH 8 from the distribution
disks, I don't think any custom hardware mods were installed.  However I
updated over 20 RPM's and I think I updated mod_ssl and openssl, maybe
apache, but not sure on that either.

Also, would running up2date keep my existing network settings in my network
script files? such as eth0:0, 1, 2, etc for my aliased domains, server
address, etc. Or would I have problems with having to manually re configure
my network connections?

What's the difference between doing "up2date kernel-source" and just
up2date?  Or what is meant by "installed to match"?

I was checking out the kernel info and noticed there are two kernel rpm's
(below).  Should I be downloading either of these and installing them via
FTP, RPM commands or by using the up2date command instead?  Does the up2date
command just download from rhn only what it needs and not the entire below
kernel rpm's?

If I should do this via rpm instead of up2date, should I download the RPM or
the SRPM?  What's the difference between the two packages?

Should I make a boot floppy for the server (red hat 8) in case something
goes wrong or is it necessary?  I have the RH 8 distribution disks, can I do
an emergency boot off of one of the RH 8 Distribution disks at server if
needed?

kernel-2.4.18-27.8.0.i686.rpm (13,597,532 bytes)Download RPM
kernel-2.4.18-27.8.0.src.rpm (35,350,340 bytes)Download SRPM

this is what I have now - from grub.conf...

Thanks for any suggestions anyone would care to give,

DB

 grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.	This means that
#	   all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#	   root (hd0,0)
#	   kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda5
#	   initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
~