memory piggies?

I have a notebook running redhat 8.0 with 1GB of RAM.  Looking at the system
monitor, I note the memory consumption seems absurd.  Karm, for example, is
a simple time-reporting app.  In my case, it can't have much more than a
few KB of data in it, yet it registers as having an RSS of 13MB and a VM
footprint of 64MB!  I am very quickly close to swapping without doing much
at all (gaim, kmail, a few xterms).

Can anybody briefly explain what is going here?