Re: erasing the MBR

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 19:07, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 09:00 4/29/2003 +0530, you wrote:
>
> >However, I still can not boot winXP off the hard disk.  After I flushed
> >the MBR, when I try to boot, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor.  I
> >can still boot with the winXP floppy and linux with the GRUB boot
> >floppy.  I can also boot windows with the GRUB boot floppy.

I don't think you needed to clear the mbr in the first place.  I've been
away for the last few days so I didn't get my two cents in :)  It sounds
like after you added a partition, all your partition numbers changed by
one, so maybe all you had to do was put the new number in
/boot/grub/grub.conf ... or maybe not, its a bit late to tell now.

If this was the problem, reinstalling grub won't fix it because it'll
still use the same /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

To reinstall grub, I think you can just run
grub-install /dev/hda
for a standard installation on first hd.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Even the Chinese are against me.