Re: ipchains and masquerading help

From: "Simon Collyer" <scollyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hey All,
>
> I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but for the life of me cannot
find
> it,
>
> The situation is, one box, two nics.
>
> nic one -> static IP address, routed through adsl modem. (210.8.131.XXX)
> (ETH0)
> nic two -> dhcp'ing 192.168 address --> net interface 192.168.0.1 (ETH1)
>
> I can reach the internet from nic one without a problem, but trying to get
> out
> from nic two, does not work, I believe it's a problem with it not
> masquerading
> correctly... or at all..

You are setup completely incorrectly.

service ipchains stop
service iptables start
rpm -e ipchains

Investigate both http://www.netfilter.org and http://ipmasq.cjb.net/
for information. The example scripts on the latter site work nicely
in almost all cases. There are also numerous iptables configuration
tools out there if you wish to go that route.

(Ipchains is an emulation in recent kernels. It is an incomplete
emulation. Many streaming and ftp features you may want do not work
well with it. Therefore the change to iptables is highly recommended.
I suffered through trying to make ipchains work and finally gave it
up as a bad effort after many hours of work. It took me about an
hour of reading until I found the second site and its examples above.
>From there it was an easy effort to get my basics working. The custom
stuff took a little more time, but not as much as I expected it would.)

{^_^}