Play sound for e-mail -

Does anyone know how to get Mozilla 1.3 to play a .wav file when a message arrives? I made the appropriate settings under Edit/Preferences but still all I get is a pitiful little beep from the internal speaker which I don't always detect even when sitting in front of the computer.

The .wav file I selected can probably be heard at the neighbors when I play it with xmms!

Any suggestion appreciated. One other thing, Mozilla should start with the e-mail screen but never does, always with the browser despite configuration via Preferences?

Bobg Durant, Florida