SV: winmodem = software modem

I don't know about your particular modem, but if you can find the literature
that came with your modem and if you see something to the effect of it being
a "software modem" then it is a "winmodem".

I'm no expert in the area, but the way I worked out my problem of finding a
modem that would work was to look for what I call a "hardware modem" or a
"controller-based hardware modem". My desktop system is now a dual boot
system (Windows XP and RH8.0) and the internal modem I had on my desktop
ended up being a software modem. With my limited amount of experience in
finding linux drivers for my winmodem, I decided to find another modem (they
are quite cheap today). I did check out the websites, but I had a hard time
figuring out which modem to get once I was in the shop. It was as if all the
shops seemed to have every other modem than just the one or ones I was
looking for! It didn't help any if I asked a salesman for a non "winmodem".
Many of the salesmen I spoke with didn't know what I meant by a "winmodem".
Neither did I, other than it was a modem that only worked with Windows ;)

When I discovered that I was able to find "software modems" and "hardware
modems", I realized that this was what I should looking or asking for. Not
all modems were classified as such, but I was able to get much further in my
search when I looked for "hardware modems" - and I was able to find a modem
that wasn't expensive which works fine in Redhat (Modem blaster V.92
serial).

I hope that helps.

Marie-Thérèse