Re: I'm leaking, and I don't know why...

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 11:14, Keith Winston wrote:
> Camron W. Fox wrote:
> > 	After six hours of not touching the machine:
> >
> > [cwfox@xxxxxx cwfox]$ free
> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> > cached
> > Mem:       1030512     739676     290836          0      17408
> > 611360
> > -/+ buffers/cache:     110908     919604
> > Swap:      2040244          0    2040244
> > [cwfox@xxxxxx cwfox]$
> >
> > 	At the end of 12 hours (untouched), memory use is above 95% and I
> > haven't even run an "ls".
>
> While you may not have done anything, Linux is never sleeping, it is
> likely that after 12 hours, an updatedb was run to reindex your locate
> database, countless other cron jobs were run and more stuff was given to
> the disk cache.
>
> Does the machine ever lock up or refuse to run something after 12 hours?
>
> The Linux VM (which I know little about) was overhauled around 2.4.10,
> but I would not worry unless you are seeing other symptoms.  Try running
>   some memory hog programs like openoffice and mozilla after 12 hours
> and recheck your memory.  You should see some reallocation.
>
> Best Regards,
> Keith
> --
> LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
> Droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe
> Got spam? Get spastic http://spastic.sourceforge.net
>

> --

	Sorry. I failed to mention what happens afterwards. Yes, the system
comes to a grinding halt if I try to run apps like mozilla or openoffice
and makes operation untenable. I've double checked /etc/cron.d to make
sure nothing unnecessary is running. It acts as if reallocation is not
happening.

--
Best Regards,
Camron