Repost: error--/lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to '__libc_stack_end@GLIBC_2.1'

Sorry for the repost, but I didn't get a response the first time, so I'll try again.

I have a machine running RH8.0, custom compiled 2.4.20 kernel, with gcc 3.1 installed from tarball sources in /usr/local/bin, glibc 2.3.1 installed from tarball sources in /usr/local/lib, plus gcc 3.2 that comes with RH 8.0 in /usr/bin, and the new glibc 2.3.2 installed from RH rpms.

Now when I try to compile and link even the most basic c code with gcc 3.2, I get the following error:

/lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to '__libc_stack_end@xxxxxxxxx'

For example, a file containing the following code:

main(void)
{
        int i;
        for(i=0; i<10; ++i) {
                continue;
        }
}

compiled at the command line with

/usr/bin/gcc -o test test.c

yields the above error.
I can compile the same code with gcc 3.1, with no errors.

Here's how I got where I am.
Installed gcc 3.1 from tarball sources on RH 7.3 machine. (with custom compiled 2.4.19 kernel)
Upgraded machine to RH 8.0 still running 2.4.19 kernel
Now I had an 8.0 machine with gcc 3.1 in /usr/local/bin, and gcc 3.2 in /usr/bin
Installed glibc 2.3.1 from tarball sources in /usr/local/lib
Now I could compile sources with gcc 3.1 with no problem, presumably link still with glibc 2.2.93 in /usr/lib.
However, when I tried to compile with gcc 3.2, I got a link error:
/lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to '__libc_stack_end@xxxxxxxxx'
I could resolve this undefined reference by adding '-L/usr/local/lib' to the gcc command line, so I was still functional, and could build code that required glibc 2.3.1
Now, I have installed glibc 2.3.2 from newly released RedHat rpms, and I still have the above problem when compiling with gcc 3.2, except that referring to -L/usr/local/lib no longer solves the problem, because I get a different set of unresolved references.

I would like to have a clean install of gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.3.2, but I don't want to resort to the extreme solution of reformatting and reinstalling 8.0

John Ketchum
Qualcomm Inc.