smtp auth problem

Hello everyone

I have been searching for days to figure out what I am doing wrong.
I would like to get postfix working with smtp auth on my redhat 8 server.
I'm using postfix 2.0.7 and cyrus-sasl 2.1.10 (all required libs
installed:
login, cram-md5, digest-md5, ...).

As soon as I enable smtp auth support with smtpd_sasl_auth_enable,
smtpd is no longer working as it should (i no longer get a prompt,
looks like smtpd hangs).
I enabled verbose logging (-v) and debugging (-D, strace) for smtpd but
can't see a clear reason why it hangs when I try to connect.

I added some debug code to the smtpd daemon to find out whats wrong...
looks like sasl_setprop in smtpd_sasl_glue.c returns -7 (SASL_BADPARAM).

Does anybody has an idea, a good point to start with?

Regards,

        Michael.