Re: XDMCP chooser in linux.. as solaris ( correction )

On Mon Mar 31 2003 at 12:38, dballester@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Where:
>
> "If DISPLAY=:0 ( the default X session in your machine), then the
> screen is located at Ctrl+Alt+F7
>       If DISPLAY=:1 ( the default X session in your machine), then the
> screen is located at Ctrl+Alt+F8
>       If DISPLAY=:2 ( the default X session in your machine), then the
> screen is located at Ctrl+Alt+F9
> "
>
> Must say:
> "    If DISPLAY=:0 ( the default X session in your machine), then the
>      screen is located at Ctrl+Alt+F7
>       If DISPLAY=:1  then the screen is located at Ctrl+Alt+F8
>       If DISPLAY=:2 then the screen is located at Ctrl+Alt+F9
> "
> Sorry

Sorry indeed.  I only came aboard this particular thread, so
apologies for my lack of previous context...

What is said there (or rather, what is implied) is just not true...
there is no correlation between the display number and the virtual
console that is used by the X server.

The fact that virtual console 7 is used by X for the first default
display is purely "accidental"...  you could "startx -- :5" and then
DISPLAY=:5 would be running on Alt-Ctrl-F7.  Or you could add
switches to pass to the X server so that it will run on any virtual
console that you liked.

Cheers
Tony