Re: RH 9 - new glibc

> If I understand correctly, it seems the reason to jump a major version
> is because the new glibc breaks binary compatability.
>
> OK... that makes sense.
>
> Why then would RedHat introduce a new glibc into RH 8 that breaks
> compatabilty with some programs (wine comes to mind and apparently
> VMWare)?  Shouldn't they have patched the glibc version that shipped
> (and worked) rather than break RH 8 with a new version?

When will all this nonsense about RH9 stop?

RH9 will come with a new blazing fast implementation of POSIX threads (NPTL)
for Linux.

It will benefit mysql and apache 2.x and whatever stuff that uses threads.

This will break compatibility but well worth it to get new good stuff.

Now quit whining and stick with your old setups if you don't need this
stuff.