Re: Editor Documentation

Wolfgang Gill writes....

> Thanks for that, it was EXACTLY was I was looking for. I'd also assume that
> these commands and functions can be used in scripting?? Without any trouble?

Well......not exactly.  Or not really for writing scripts
like I think you are talking about.

However, you will see similarities in some of the commands
and tools like 'sed.'  I think it has something to do with 'ed'
commands, which vi is a frontend, or something........Someone
with more history info can probably explain better.

But similarities in sed like  s/STRING1/STRING2/g
are the exact same as if you do them on the command prompt
in vi.  But only a few of them.
And most metacharacters are respected.

I may [WILL] get some argument here but......10 years ago the way to write
scripts was learn awk, sed, and as many unix commands as you can
and put them together in a bourne shall script and run it.
But if you are starting out today, and want to write some scripts,
you will do yourself well to learn Perl.
NOW, before I get attacked here......that in NO WAY suggests that
ignore the VERY useful commands like grep, cut, sort, tr, sed,
find, and all the useful redirects, pipes, etc.
However, Perl can do pretty much anything that the awk/sed combination
can do, and you can learn Perl in about the same time as learning
both sed and awk.  PLUS, anything you cannot do with a Perl
command, you can invoke a shell command and pull the results back
into Perl to process.  AND.....Perl makes string parsing a piece
of cake, whereas it's a NIGHTMARE doing much of it with just regular
unix commands piped together.
And Perl is VERY portable, and here to stay.

-- Jay Crews
jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx