Re: moving var

On Wednesday March 26 2003 12:24 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Stephen Carville wrote:
> > On Tuesday March 25 2003 09:43 am, Marek wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I would like to move my /var dir to some free space i have on a drive.
> > > How would i achieve this ?
> >
> > Copy the contents of /var to the new location.
> >
> > Change to /
> >
> > Drop to single user mode
> >
> > Unmount /var
> >
> > Mount the new location as /var
> >
> > Change /etc/fstab to reflect the new configuration.
>
> just a thought, but would it be possible to unmount and remount
> /var in one operation using the "remount" option of the mount
> command?
>
> after that's done, you could always change the /etc/fstab entry
> at your leisure.  any reason why this wouldn't work?

AFAIK, 'remount' can only be used to change the attributes of a mounted file
system.  It cannot change the mount point or device.

Another thing occured to me.  The sequence I described only works if /var is
being moved to a new device -- eg from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hdc2 .  If the
desire is to move /var to another directory on a mounted file system -- eg
/var to /usr/local/var -- then you will want to use a symlink.