Re: Red Hat 9

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Kevin Waterson wrote:

> This one time, at band camp,
> Jesse Keating <hosting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Nothing stops you from downloading a 8.0 or a 9 .src.rpm and rebuilding it for
> > 7.3.  yes the source is there, but there is no guarentee that the end package
> > will work as designed on 7.3.  There are some system changes that will make
> > packages non-compatible w/out heavy spec file tweakage.
>
> Yes, I can see that. But where would the new, updated, packages be stored?

Once a product is EOL there are not going to be any new updated packages
unless someone other than Red Hat makes them.

> If a spec file was changed in another package, it too would need to be
> released under the GPL

IANAL but as I understand things I only have to release the source to the
people I distribute the binaries to. I can charge for the binaries and if
the purchaser asks for the source I have to make it available to them. I
do not think I have to make it available to everyone. Of course IMO it is
much better if it is released to everyone and there is nothing to stop
one or more of my customers from redistributing it. Red Hat makes the src
available to everyone even for the Enterprise line. It is just you will
get no support and you have to build the rpms from the *.src.rpm.
I have actually done this a couple of times for 2.1AS just for my own
education. It is a very time consuming project but I learned a lot also.

FWIW the below is from the GPL. Note the word "recipients":

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.

Does this help or am I totally misunderstanding what you are getting at?

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....