Re: help partitioning

Michael Smith writes....

> You _must_ have winxp installed _first_. I'm not exactly sure why, but
> that's said everywhere. Then just create a 256 swap partition, and use
> the rest for the / partition. (Use Disk Druid to partition)

It's "easiest" to install XP first.  Not necessarily a must.
Linux will respect what's already in the MBR, and list
it in GRUB (or LILO.)  XP, in the true "bull in a china shop"
fashion, will overwrite the MBR.  In which case you will have to
boot Linux from a diskette, and re-install the GRUB configuration.
Just a set or 2 easier to M$ first.

> -Michael
> On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 19:25, valeed wrote:
> > hi ,
> > I have a 40gb hdd , 128mb ram , pentium 4 1000mhz hp pc
> > of the 40gb i have made two logical partitions , of 22 gb & 18gb
> > 22gb is reserved for windows xp , & on 18gb I wish to install Linux
> > 8.0 ,
> > i want to have a dual boot & keep the windows xp as it is till I learn
> > more & feel comfortable with Linux as I am new to this.
> > please if someone can guide me to partition the 18gb for installing
> > Linux
> >
> > I have downloaded the psyche-i386-iso images & created 3 cds reqd for
> > installation , please reply me with the calculation as to how  much is
> > reqd for diff partitions in linux
> >
> > what are the partitions i should create , & how much each partition
> > should be allocated
> > is there any calculation by which it becomes easy to allocate the
> > reqrd space for the said partitions
> > should i create all the partitions as mentioned below or is there
> > anything else i should know please guide me
> >
> > /
> > /boot
> > /home
> > /swap