Lilo and mounted boot partition

Title: Lilo and mounted boot partition

Dear list readers -

I have a question, one which I have never really done or thought of doing before, though I am sure there is some way to do it. Where I am at is as follows, I have a server with a "cloned" disk that I have mounted temporarily so that I can work on it and make some tweaks before throwing it into another machine as its primary drive. What I am trying to do, and not sure I can, is to fix the boot partition on the temp mounted drive. So I have 2 disks currently mounted, primary disk with the normal boot and root partitions, and a clone of that disk. I want to run lilo -v on the CLONE, but not disturb the primary disk and its boot sector. Is there any way to accomplish this and modify the CLONE boot sector with lilo?? I thought something along the lines of the following:

lilo -t -v -C /opt/etc/lilo.conf -i /clone/boot/boot.b

but when I do that, I get the following

[root@xxxxx root]# lilo -t -v -C /opt/etc/lilo.conf -i /clone/boot/boot.b

LILO version 21.4-4 (test mode), Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

Ignoring entry 'install'

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda

Merging with /clone/boot/boot.b

Which is not what I want, I want to work on the  CLONEd disks boot sector. Any ideas how to force this behavior??

Thank you all in advance

Michael Weiner