Re: Red Hat 9

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Jason Dale wrote:

> In my part of the world in the southern hemisphere,  Linux became

<CREDENTIALS>
I'm in the same part of the world, and I've been using Red Hat since the
beginning.
</CREDENTIALS>

> All said and done, I am still somewhat concerned myself as to why Red Hat 9
> is popping up so quickly.

<RANT>

PLEASE, PLEASE, do everyone a favour (you and all the people who are going
into PMS and menopause because of this) and realise...IT'S JUST A
FRIGGING NUMBER FOR BOB'S SAKE!!!!!!!

There is no objective measurement that says .0 releases are any
worse or better than any other release.  There is nothing that says that
a single numeric release is going to be better or worse than any other
release.  I have been testing the phoebe releases and I am pretty
confident that the Red Hat 9 release is going to be better than any
previous release straight off the .iso.

Yes, there are going to be problems, and incompatibilities.  Yes, you are
going to be installing various errata.  Yes, it's not going to be quite
the same as any other release, but that's the way it is.

Get over it....move on.   If you can't cope with the pace of change in the
consumer releases, pay (YES PAY!!!) for the Advanced Server (or Desktop)
releases and go that way.  Or go SCO, or Solaris, or HPUX, or AIX, or BSD
(no, that probably wouldn't work - they release more than once per
millenium) or go to the evil empire...maybe their philosophy will agree
with yours.

Most of the people here who should be getting a side order of cheese with
their whine are not paying for their OS or errata downloads and therefore
have no right to complain about anything.

</RANT>

I have been running a herd of Red Hat machines in the work environment for
the last 6 years, and I can say, without reservation (having actually
tried on various occasions), that no other fully free distribution (this
obviously excludes SUSE), provides me with the level of confidence that
Red Hat does.

I invite you to implement a professional Linux server/desktop shop and
keep it running for a number of years on one of the other distributions.
Come back to me and tell me of your successes/failures, and I'll guarantee
that I've had a better time of it with Red Hat.

Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

(7.3 RHCE...and betting that RH won't prematurely expire my cert)