External USB Drive

I have been looking at getting an external USB drive for backing up
files on my home network and I see the Maxtor 3000LE (120 GB) is
selling for around $200 FRN's.  I know the Linux kernel supports USB
but how well does it work?  I've read some horror stories about
poorly designed devices that do not support the specification well
and make up for their sins by diddling the drivers -- an option not
easily available in Linux.

--
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt