Re: Spam ? (RH9)

Daevid Vincent wrote:

Well, I do know that it's incredibly arrogant and misleading to jump from
v8.0 to v9.0 without any intermediate steps. NOBODY in the software world
does that without some serious serious feature additions. RH9 will be
nothing more than some normal updates. Xfree 4.3, a (still broken) Apache
2.0/PHP, a slightly newer KDE/Gnome, and what else?

I really do not know, or care, if it is arrogant to jump from v8.0 to v9.0.

I DO care that this jump does not SEEM to be related to major kernel/lib/feature changes which triggered a major version number BUT does cause a very rapid accelation in the decay of version support and certification expiration.

I recently spent $3000 and a LOT of time (time I was not compensated for) taking Red Hat courses and exams to achieve my RHCE. The RHCE is valid for 2 major version advances. If what used to be minor version steps about every 6 months (7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, then 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, ...) are going to become called major steps, my certification is going to become invalid in about 1 year instead of expected 3 or 4 years. Retraining / recertification cost/time just went up 2, 3 or 4 times.

As I said, I do not really care that how you name/number versions, BUT, if you tie support promises and certification lifetimes to these version numbers, then chaning the numbering rationale better be accompanied by an equivalent change in the support and certification policies.

R.Parr
RHCE
Temporal Arts