Re: security updates ?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 01:45:35PM -0500, Allan M. Stewart wrote:

> I'm working in an environment where management is overly sensitive to
> changes. We've been developing and QA'ing on a 8.0 install basically
> straight out of the box. Our fielded systems will have a minimum install
> with very few extras. Certainly SSH will need to be updated. Probably
> several others. What I would like to do is check the installed RPMs for
> updates and find out which ones are security related. Those kind of
> updates should be easily justified.
>
> Is there an easy way to check only for security updates? It would be
> very time consuming to do searches on every installed RPM.

The best method is to use up2date.  Register the system (it's $60 per
system per year).  You've then got the option to be e-mailed whenever a
relevant update is released, check online for the status of all your
systems, or run up2date --list manually and look at the output.

up2date typically reports on only security updates - Red Hat does not
usually provide routine bug fixes via RHN.

Please note that 8.0 will be unsupported after December 31 of this year.
You should start planning a version 9 rollout soon (it will be publicly
available in early April).  Personally, I'm going to be migrating my
production systems to Enterprise Edge Server to get the longer lifecycle
for security errata.

To review the RHN choices, see http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/offerings/

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA