Re: mail client text based

hi jay ...
for your suprise, yahoo works with pop3 and smtp ... for free...
i've configured my X-emailclient with pop.mail.yahoo.com.br (yahoo brazil) and smtp.mail.yahoo.com.br ...
for enable this service you subscribe in ad's mails ...
[ and after, filter this mails to trash =))) ]

by now, i understood how mutt works ... (thanks folks!!)
i'll try setup the postfix to only sendmail ... (and don't stay listening on port 25) ...

see ya!!!

Jay Crews wrote:
The question is, does yahoo run a pop or imap server?
It would suprise me if they did. Keep in mind, the
"payback" for getting free disk space on a mail server
(yahoo, hotmail, etc) is you have to go to their site and dig through all of their ad garbage. (Sorry if there
are any marketing folks out there.....*grin*).
If they run pop or imap, you could bypass all of that.
Which would suprise me.

Now, assuming they DO run one of these........

If I understand correctly, you want to read/send yahoo mail locally,
making it looking like you are at yahoo.

The next issue is sending mail.
Can you use sendmail or your local MTA to send?  If so,
set your enviornment variable EMAIL to your yahoo address,
and use mutt.  ie    export EMAIL=me@xxxxxxxxx
(Probably other ways to set that, but that was in the "man mutt" page.)

And this is kind of off point, but if you have a Linux box
and an ISP, I can think of MUCH better email resources than
having to use yahoo, hotmail, or the like..........

-- Jay Crews jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx