Re: Problem making install time driver disk

Have you done a make modules and also a make modules_install ? If not it doesn't surprise me the least.

If you do this and it makes the dependencies properly (you will know if you see the module under the /lib/modules/[kernel-version] directory structure), it should work.

Regards,
GM
Jesse Keating wrote:
So, I'm having a bit of a problem. I've got driver code for a FastTrack 100 raid adapter, and if I compile this code against a 2.4.18-14-i686 configured kernel-source, I can insmod the module into a system booted w/ 2.4.18-14-i686. The problem comes when making a module to use in the install environment. I did "make mrproper && cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i386-BOOT.config .config && make oldconfig && make dep" in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14 directory, then compiled my FastTrack module again, same as before. The module compiles, but when I try to load it in the install environment, I get various unresolved dependancies, ranging from vsprintf, to jiffies, to printk. Every place I look details doing exactly what I did to build a module to use in the boot/install environment, but it just doesn't work. I'd be inclined to say it's a problem with the source, but I doubt that, since I can successfully build/load a module for 2.4.18-14-i686.

Can anybody give me a hand with this?

George B. Magklaras

Computer Systems Engineer
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo