Re: No chance for 'dvd'

On Thu Mar 20 2003 at 01:19, Thomas Rump wrote:

> by searching the internet how to enable 'dma' for playing 'dvd' in
> "RedHat-8.0" i found that passage to add the line: "options ide-cd
> dma=1" to '/etc/modules.conf'. But with that line in m.conf and a real
> new start (may be next day) i have no chance for an functionable
> 'gnome-desktop', either the panel is lost or the 'redhat-logo' in the
> middle of the screen don't disappear by starting 'X'. If i delete this
> line in 'modules.conf' starting is possible again.
>
> For a little help i would be glad.

Using that option works for me for my ide dvd drive.  I also have a
scsi cdrw and another ide cdrom.  You might need to narrow down the
dma=1 setting to the specific ide device for your dvd.

You can do some diagnosis of the problem by using the hdparm
utility.  For example, if your dvd is on /dev/hdc then this will
allow you to quickly check the dma settings:

$ hdparm -d /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
 using_dma	=  0 (of)

This command will enable it:

$ hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

If you can't get the dma=1 switch to work at bootup, then you could
resort to doing this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local...

hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc > /dev/null 2>&1

I happen to have a dvd/cdrw combo on /dev/hdc and a cdrom on
/dev/hdd, so I want to turn the dvd into an emulated scsi device (on
/dev/scd0) and leave the cdrom as ide.  In /etc/modules.conf I do it
something like this:

add	above	cdrom	ide-cd
options	ide-cd	dma=1 ignore=/dev/hdc
add	above	ide-cd	ide-scsi

The interesting thing is that the ide-scsi module seems to
automatically enable dma when it is used.

Hint:

$ ln -s hdc /dev/dvd

(This is for subsequent usability with utilities such as xine that
look for this file to find the dvd device.  Note that in my
particular case, /dev/dvd is a symlink to /dev/scd0).

> Thomas Rump

Cheers
Tony