Re: Mounting of vfat

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 00:05, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:03:26PM +0100, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> > > Whats the best way for mounting a vfat partition?
> > > I need to give several users RW on this disk.
> > > Must i give the parameters in /etc/fstab ?
> >
> > As far as I know just put a line in fstab using the filetype of
> > vfat.
> > e.g.
> > /dev/hdb2 	/mntv	vfat	defaults	0 0

You could also set up an automount, so that it was only mount when
accessed, and then unmounted automatically.

> i'm pretty sure "auto" would work instead of vfat.  IIRC, mount
> will auto-recognize ext2/3, iso9660 and vfat.

Actually, (to be pedantic) a quick snippet of man mount(8) may be more
precise:

"The type iso9660 is the default.  If no -t option is given, or if the
auto type is specified, the superblock is probed for the filesystem type
(adfs, bfs, cramfs, ext, ext2, ext3, hfs,  hpfs, iso9660,  jfs,  minix,
ntfs, qnx4, reiserfs, romfs, udf, ufs, vxfs, xfs, xiafs are supported).
If this probe fails, mount will try to read the file /etc/filesystems,
or, if that does not exist, /proc/filesystems.  All of the  filesystem
types listed there  will  be tried, except for those that are labeled
"nodev" (e.g., devpts, proc and nfs).  If /etc/filesystems ends in a
line with a single * only, mount will read /proc/filesystems
afterwards."

That is provided you have a module / builtin support for that type.
Note that vfat is not listed above, but you'll most likely see it in
/etc/filesystems.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Q:	What's the difference betweeen USL and the Graf Zeppelin?