libflashplayer.so installation woes

I was trying to view an interactive feature at NYTimes.com today and was told I needed macromedia flashplayer 6 to view it.  I was certain that I had already installed it so I checked and I do, in fact, have the latest libflashplayer.so in the /usr/lib/netscape/plugins directory.
Nonetheless, I tried to download and reinstall it.  When I previously installed it, I extracted the tar.gz into /home/me/programs and then did
cp /home/me/programs/install_flashplayer_6_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so
The install script that comes with it failed the first time (months ago).
So, being the fool I am, I tried to run that install script again.  I did
cd /home/me/programs/installthiscrap
sh installflashplayer
And it started to run, just as last time, and, just as before, asked me for a directory path and behaved as follows: quote

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/netscape

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/bin/netscape

WARNING: /usr/bin/netscape is not a directory.

/end quote

I tried /usr/bin/netscape/plugins, /usr/lib/mozilla, /usr/bin/mozilla  /usr/lib/yomamma/

Everything, and I get the same response.
Personally, I don't understand why the darned plugin isn't working after I installed at by hand, since it is clearly IN the directory, let alone why the stupid install script doesn't accept /usr/lib/netscape
Any ideas?  Is this a UTS bug?

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!