Re: rpm problems

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:44:05 +0100, Wolfgang Rapp wrote
> trying to install hylafax rh8 rpm package from hylafax.org but rpm
> hangs. I get Prepating packages for installation... after rpm -iv
> and then nothing else happend to rpm.
>
> I remove /var/lib/rpm/__db* and all /var/tmp/rpm* and then --
> rebuilddb but no success at all.
>
> Other packages could be installed.
> Anybody some ideas?

I have had that happen on a different package myself. No matter what I did,
the rpm would hang (IIRC it was plugger).

The approach I took, after cleaning up things, was first to determine if any
dependencies existed. You might try rpm -ivh --test package; I do not remember
if that will run or it hangs also. You can use the --requires to see if
dependencies exist.

The package I was installing had none. I then tried rpm -ivh --nodeps package
and it installed.

Please keep in mind that using nodeps can be dangerous if dependencies do
exist. Also, I was experimenting trying to find anything that would work on a
non-production machine.

FWIW -- YMMV.

If you find a different solution, please post it back here.

Mike.