Re: SV: SV: Firewall Issue

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Marie-Th=E9r=E8se_Lorentzen?= writes....

> Thank you!
> My problem is that I have no idea how to set up a firewall using iptables. I
> know there is something called ports, but I have no idea which ports I
> should have open or closed. At the moment I have a modem, but I'm a little
> nervous about having some backdoor open unbeknownst to me once we get ADSL
> set up.
> When I get a little extra time, I'll do a little research on it. Do you have
> website that explains it in a rather basic way?

There are a couple lines of thought on this:

* Learn iptable rules, and how they work.  It's "a learning experience."
* Buy a cheap router.

I chose the latter.
Got a D-Link router for $39.00.  By default, all ports are
closed (I think).  Then you open what you need.

But I strongly suggest you not plug the modem cable directly
into the NIC with NO firewall what-so-ever.  I had a friend
who disagreed with that using the logic of, "I only log on
long enough to check my mail, then log off."  He got hit.
It doesn't take long.

In the mean time, if you must connect, you might want to consider
using 'lokkit' and setting it to 'high.'  It'll block everything
out, but it'll keep people out until you can get a good security
method in place.

> Marie-Thérèse

-- Jay Crews
jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx